In Massachusetts if you have a septic system, it must pass a Title V inspection to be financed by a conventional lender. If money is tight, there are few options until now. You could sell(at a greatly reduced price to a cash buyer that will deal with the problem, short sale the property if there is no equity(and damage your credit), you could sell with the failed septic to an FHA 203k Buyer but you must have a septic design completed that usually costs between $3,000 and $4,000 including machine time and soil tests. Although this is a less financially devastating solution, the buyer base is greatly reduced to those willing to deal with FHA and the installation and you still have to put up a significant chunk of change for the design. This still puts you in a position where you will have to take a hit on the selling price because most folks do not want to deal with this kind of aggravation.
The Commonwealth has developed three programs to assist on-site septic system owners with wastewater management problems. There are 0% financing options and tax credits available to those who qualify.
Ther following is from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection website:
Community Septic Management Program
This MassDEP program offers 0% loans to communities, which in turn provide low-interest betterment loans to eligible homeowners with failed septic systems through their local Boards of Health.
Description of the Community Septic Management Program
Information about betterments
Regional Contacts for the Community Septic Management Program:
Metro/Northeast: Nihar.Mohanty@state.ma.us – 978-694-3237
Southeast: Pamela.Truesdale@state.ma.us – 508-946-2881
Central: Stella.Tamul@state.ma.us – 508-767-2763
Western: Deirdre.Cabral@state.ma.us – 413-755-2148
Homeowner Septic Loan Program
This is a bank loan program for homeowners whose systems have failed Title 5 inspection. Participating banks offer low interest rates to eligible homeowners through this MassHousing Program. For more information contact Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency (MHFA), 617-723-0500 or go to their Web site:
MassHousing Web site
The Commonwealth provides a tax credit of up to $6,000 over 4 years to defray the cost of septic repairs to a primary residence. Forms are available from the Department of Revenue (DOR) to enable homeowners to claim up to $6,000 in tax credits for septic upgrades. The credit cannot exceed $1,500 in any year and may be spread out over 4 years. The tax credit is limited to work done on a primary residence only. Tax Form Schedule SC is the correct form for the tax credits.
MassDOR Web site
In addition, these federal programs are available to aid septic system owners with wastewater management problems:
Federal Farmers Home Administration (FHA)
FHA offers low-cost financing to those who qualify. For more information contact FHA:
* Multi-family home: 202-708-2495
* Single-family home: 202-708-3175
USDA Rural Development Program
This program offers government loans to assist very low income rural homeowners who are in need of repair and improvements to their homes for health or safety reasons, including septic system repairs or upgrades.
USDA Web site
About the author: The above Real Estate information was provided by Jay Falone, a Nationally recognized leader in his field. Jay can be reached via email at Jayfremax@aol.com or by phone at 508-893-7996. Jay has helped many people move in and out of Metrowest and Worcester Counties since 1987.
I service the Metrowest and Worcester areas of Massachusetts .If you are selling or Buying outside of the Metrowest or Worcester Massachusetts area or need to do a short sale please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to refer you to a Realtor in your area. I have a network of Realtors all around the country and worldwide.
Ashland ListingAshland, MA - $389,000 - Condo - Half-Duplex - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/156 minutes agoAshland, MA - $188,600 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:4 - Baths:110 hours agoAshland, MA - $238,500 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:115 hours agoAshland, MA - $359,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/116 hours agoAshland, MA - $299,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/1
Natick ListingsNatick, MA - $1,175,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:11 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/11 hour agoNatick, MA - $534,900 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:69 hours agoNatick, MA - $570,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:211 hours agoNatick, MA - $849,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/117 hours agoNatick, MA - $1,900 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1
Framingham ListingsFramingham, MA - $450,000 - Multi-Family - Units:4 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:61 hour agoFramingham, MA - $169,900 - Condo - Mid-Rise - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:11 hour agoFramingham, MA - $549,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:6 - Baths:2/210 hours agoFramingham, MA - $699,900 - Single-Family - Colonial, Contemporary - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/215 hours agoFramingham, MA - $1,100 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:1
- House Passes Legislation to Promote Public Safety, Protect Access to Reproductive Care July 25, 2014Framingham State Rep. Tom Sannicandro joined his colleagues in the House of Representatives to pass legislation that enhances public safety and protects access to reproductive health care facilities in Massachusetts. […]
- Northborough Man Charged With Running Massive Pyramid Scheme July 24, 2014James M. Merrill and Carlos N. Wanzeler, principals of TelexFree, Incorporated, and related entities, were indicted on Thursday for wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud. […]
- Framingham Teen in Coma After Weekend Crash in Ashland July 22, 2014A Framingham teen, 17, is in an induced coma, following a crash in Ashland over the weekend. […]
- The FBI's phony war on terror July 22, 2014The plan to fly drones laden with explosives into the U.S. Capitol and the Pentagon had all the trappings of a post-Sept. […]
- House Passes Legislation to Promote Public Safety, Protect Access to Reproductive Care July 25, 2014
- Cluck, cluck - National Chicken Wing Day flies in July 29th July 28, 2014Who doesn't love a tasty chicken wing? This week it's time to take flight because National Chicken Wing Day is July 29th an Boston has an array of delectable ones waiting to be tasted! You can count on Chef Brian Poe of Estelle's in the South End to serve it up hot and these wings are no exception - Hot as Hell Wings are tossed in "Wicked […]
- Quadcopter chronicles Westboro life from above July 27, 2014Westboro TV studio manager Tim A. Novak of Natick will record points of interest in Westboro with his quadcopter and camera, including Westboro State Hospital. […]
- Most Expensive Home for Sale in Natick's Got 12 Rooms, Heated Pool and Basketball Court July 25, 2014The exceptional custom colonial in the Hamlet Estates is selling just under $1.7 Million, according to Zillow.com's listing. […]
- Develop & Share Open-Source Hardware Projects July 23, 2014It's important for editors to get out of the office and into the real world once in a while. […]
- Cluck, cluck - National Chicken Wing Day flies in July 29th July 28, 2014
- Traffic Alert: Paving Activites on Potter Road 7/29 - Expect Delays July 28, 2014Potter Road finish paving is scheduled for Tuesday, July 29th. Paving activities are anticipated to begin at approximately 7:00 a.m. An alternating one lane traffic pattern will be used to facilitate traffic flow. […]
- Ecoato Sweet Paprika Powder Recall July 28, 2014Framingham, MA - infoZine - The TJX Companies, Inc. is recalling "ecoato" Sweet Paprika Powder products as they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. […]
- Framingham: ERA Key Realty hosts block party July 28, 2014ERA Key Realty Services will be hosting a community block party Thursday, July 31, from 4 - 7 p.m., at 1661 Worcester Rd., Framingham. […]
- Traffic Alert: Construction Activities for Week Ending August 1, 2014 July 26, 2014Indian Head Road The Department of Public Works Highway Division will continue to make drainage improvements, do survey work and reset curbing. […]
- Traffic Alert: Paving Activites on Potter Road 7/29 - Expect Delays July 28, 2014