In Massachusetts if you have a septic system, it must pass a Title V inspection to be financed by a conventional lender. If money is tight, there are few options until now. You could sell(at a greatly reduced price to a cash buyer that will deal with the problem, short sale the property if there is no equity(and damage your credit), you could sell with the failed septic to an FHA 203k Buyer but you must have a septic design completed that usually costs between $3,000 and $4,000 including machine time and soil tests. Although this is a less financially devastating solution, the buyer base is greatly reduced to those willing to deal with FHA and the installation and you still have to put up a significant chunk of change for the design. This still puts you in a position where you will have to take a hit on the selling price because most folks do not want to deal with this kind of aggravation.
The Commonwealth has developed three programs to assist on-site septic system owners with wastewater management problems. There are 0% financing options and tax credits available to those who qualify.
Ther following is from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection website:
Community Septic Management Program
This MassDEP program offers 0% loans to communities, which in turn provide low-interest betterment loans to eligible homeowners with failed septic systems through their local Boards of Health.
Description of the Community Septic Management Program
Information about betterments
Regional Contacts for the Community Septic Management Program:
Metro/Northeast: Nihar.Mohanty@state.ma.us – 978-694-3237
Southeast: Pamela.Truesdale@state.ma.us – 508-946-2881
Central: Stella.Tamul@state.ma.us – 508-767-2763
Western: Deirdre.Cabral@state.ma.us – 413-755-2148
Homeowner Septic Loan Program
This is a bank loan program for homeowners whose systems have failed Title 5 inspection. Participating banks offer low interest rates to eligible homeowners through this MassHousing Program. For more information contact Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency (MHFA), 617-723-0500 or go to their Web site:
MassHousing Web site
The Commonwealth provides a tax credit of up to $6,000 over 4 years to defray the cost of septic repairs to a primary residence. Forms are available from the Department of Revenue (DOR) to enable homeowners to claim up to $6,000 in tax credits for septic upgrades. The credit cannot exceed $1,500 in any year and may be spread out over 4 years. The tax credit is limited to work done on a primary residence only. Tax Form Schedule SC is the correct form for the tax credits.
MassDOR Web site
In addition, these federal programs are available to aid septic system owners with wastewater management problems:
Federal Farmers Home Administration (FHA)
FHA offers low-cost financing to those who qualify. For more information contact FHA:
* Multi-family home: 202-708-2495
* Single-family home: 202-708-3175
USDA Rural Development Program
This program offers government loans to assist very low income rural homeowners who are in need of repair and improvements to their homes for health or safety reasons, including septic system repairs or upgrades.
USDA Web site
About the author: The above Real Estate information was provided by Jay Falone, a Nationally recognized leader in his field. Jay can be reached via email at Jayfremax@aol.com or by phone at 508-893-7996. Jay has helped many people move in and out of Metrowest and Worcester Counties since 1987.
I service the Metrowest and Worcester areas of Massachusetts .If you are selling or Buying outside of the Metrowest or Worcester Massachusetts area or need to do a short sale please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to refer you to a Realtor in your area. I have a network of Realtors all around the country and worldwide.
Ashland ListingAshland, MA - $655,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/148 minutes agoAshland, MA - $279,500 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:8 - Beds:5 - Baths:1/16 hours agoAshland, MA - $319,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:5 - Baths:110 hours agoAshland, MA - $359,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/110 hours agoAshland, MA - $194,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:110 hours ago
Natick ListingsNatick, MA - $599,900 - Single-Family - Antique - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:26 hours agoNatick, MA - $1,025,000 - Single-Family - Colonial, Farmhouse - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/19 hours agoNatick, MA - $2,360 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/113 hours agoNatick, MA - $615,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/115 hours agoNatick, MA - $615,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/115 hours ago
Framingham ListingsFramingham, MA - $1,375 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:15 hours agoFramingham, MA - $529,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/16 hours agoFramingham, MA - $325,000 - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/16 hours agoFramingham, MA - $1,700 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:16 hours agoFramingham, MA - $475,000 - Multi-Family - Units:4 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:610 hours ago
- House Passes Legislation to Promote Public Safety, Protect Access to Reproductive Care July 25, 2014Framingham State Rep. Tom Sannicandro joined his colleagues in the House of Representatives to pass legislation that enhances public safety and protects access to reproductive health care facilities in Massachusetts. […]
- Northborough Man Charged With Running Massive Pyramid Scheme July 24, 2014James M. Merrill and Carlos N. Wanzeler, principals of TelexFree, Incorporated, and related entities, were indicted on Thursday for wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud. […]
- Framingham Teen in Coma After Weekend Crash in Ashland July 22, 2014A Framingham teen, 17, is in an induced coma, following a crash in Ashland over the weekend. […]
- The FBI's phony war on terror July 22, 2014The plan to fly drones laden with explosives into the U.S. Capitol and the Pentagon had all the trappings of a post-Sept. […]
- House Passes Legislation to Promote Public Safety, Protect Access to Reproductive Care July 25, 2014
- Develop & Share Open-Source Hardware Projects July 23, 2014It's important for editors to get out of the office and into the real world once in a while. […]
- Uniqlo opening in temporary space Tuesday at Faneuil Hall July 21, 2014The popular Japanese brand, known for selling affordable basics in a vast color palette, will debut in a temporary store in the South Market space formerly occupied by Todd English's Kingfish Hall. […]
- $7,000 MutualOne Foundation Grant Will Enhance Reed Academy Programs July 21, 2014The MutualOne Charitable Foundation recently awarded $7,000 to Reed Academy in Framingham for the purchase of iPads for student use in technology education and theater/creative arts programs. […]
- Natick Home of the Week: 292 Eliot St. July 21, 2014This is 292 Eliot St., a four bedroom, three bathroom Cape, offering more than 3,000 square feet of living space on two acres of land. […]
- Develop & Share Open-Source Hardware Projects July 23, 2014
- Grand Opening/Ribbon Cutting - Wickford Road Bridge July 25, 2014On Monday, July 28th at 1:00 p.m., a grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony will be held at the Wickford Road Bridge by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation and the Town of Framingham. […]
- United Way of Tri-County Ready to Read Program Kicks Off Helping Dozens of Families July 25, 2014The following is a press release from the United Way of Tri-County in Framingham: There were many smiling faces at the Ready to Read distribution party in Framingham. […]
- SLIDESHOW: Outdoor Games, Crafts and Food at Framingham Farmers' Market July 25, 2014Besides the wonderful fresh produce, cheeses, breads and yummy desserts at the Framingham Farmers' Market, there were crafts and outdoors games for kids Thursday. […]
- Tufts Health Plan Foundation Awards Grants To United Way Tri-County, Mi Vada Mi Salud July 24, 2014The Tufts Health Plan Foundation awarded healthy aging grants to two Framingham organizations. […]
- Grand Opening/Ribbon Cutting - Wickford Road Bridge July 25, 2014