In Massachusetts if you have a septic system, it must pass a Title V inspection to be financed by a conventional lender. If money is tight, there are few options until now. You could sell(at a greatly reduced price to a cash buyer that will deal with the problem, short sale the property if there is no equity(and damage your credit), you could sell with the failed septic to an FHA 203k Buyer but you must have a septic design completed that usually costs between $3,000 and $4,000 including machine time and soil tests. Although this is a less financially devastating solution, the buyer base is greatly reduced to those willing to deal with FHA and the installation and you still have to put up a significant chunk of change for the design. This still puts you in a position where you will have to take a hit on the selling price because most folks do not want to deal with this kind of aggravation.
The Commonwealth has developed three programs to assist on-site septic system owners with wastewater management problems. There are 0% financing options and tax credits available to those who qualify.
Ther following is from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection website:
Community Septic Management Program
This MassDEP program offers 0% loans to communities, which in turn provide low-interest betterment loans to eligible homeowners with failed septic systems through their local Boards of Health.
Description of the Community Septic Management Program
Information about betterments
Regional Contacts for the Community Septic Management Program:
Metro/Northeast: Nihar.Mohanty@state.ma.us – 978-694-3237
Southeast: Pamela.Truesdale@state.ma.us – 508-946-2881
Central: Stella.Tamul@state.ma.us – 508-767-2763
Western: Deirdre.Cabral@state.ma.us – 413-755-2148
Homeowner Septic Loan Program
This is a bank loan program for homeowners whose systems have failed Title 5 inspection. Participating banks offer low interest rates to eligible homeowners through this MassHousing Program. For more information contact Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency (MHFA), 617-723-0500 or go to their Web site:
MassHousing Web site
The Commonwealth provides a tax credit of up to $6,000 over 4 years to defray the cost of septic repairs to a primary residence. Forms are available from the Department of Revenue (DOR) to enable homeowners to claim up to $6,000 in tax credits for septic upgrades. The credit cannot exceed $1,500 in any year and may be spread out over 4 years. The tax credit is limited to work done on a primary residence only. Tax Form Schedule SC is the correct form for the tax credits.
MassDOR Web site
In addition, these federal programs are available to aid septic system owners with wastewater management problems:
Federal Farmers Home Administration (FHA)
FHA offers low-cost financing to those who qualify. For more information contact FHA:
* Multi-family home: 202-708-2495
* Single-family home: 202-708-3175
USDA Rural Development Program
This program offers government loans to assist very low income rural homeowners who are in need of repair and improvements to their homes for health or safety reasons, including septic system repairs or upgrades.
USDA Web site
About the author: The above Real Estate information was provided by Jay Falone, a Nationally recognized leader in his field. Jay can be reached via email at Jayfremax@aol.com or by phone at 508-893-7996. Jay has helped many people move in and out of Metrowest and Worcester Counties since 1987.
I service the Metrowest and Worcester areas of Massachusetts .If you are selling or Buying outside of the Metrowest or Worcester Massachusetts area or need to do a short sale please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to refer you to a Realtor in your area. I have a network of Realtors all around the country and worldwide.
Ashland ListingAshland, MA - $559,800 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/12 hours agoAshland, MA - $699,900 - Single-Family - Contemporary, Other - Rooms:16 - Beds:5 - Baths:5/1Ashland, MA - $282,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1Milford, MA - $229,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Ashland, MA - $329,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
Natick ListingsNatick, MA - $499,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:21 hour agoNatick, MA - $560,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:22 hours agoNatick, MA - $419,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/15 hours agoNatick, MA - $1,500,000 - Land - Acres:3.615 hours agoNatick, MA - $3,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/16 hours ago
Framingham ListingsFramingham, MA - $225,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:11 hour agoFramingham, MA - $359,800 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:67 hours agoFramingham, MA - $369,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/17 hours agoFramingham, MA - $459,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Framingham, MA - $595,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:3
- Julian A. Prachnick, 75, of Hudson August 20, 2014Julian A. Prachnick, 75, of Hudson, formerly of Berlin, died Sunday, Aug. 17, 2014 at Marlboro Hills Healthcare Center surrounded by his loving family. […]
- Ashland: Dragonfly Festival at Mill Pond Park August 19, 2014Ashland's first Dragonfly Festival, to be held Saturday, Aug. 23, 4 p.m. to dark, at Mill Pond Park and on the grounds of the Ashland Historical Society, 2 Myrtle St., was conceived as a way to bring the Ashland community together to celebrate arts. […]
- Roadwork Notice in Hopkinton August 14, 2014Frankland Rd to the Ashland town line. The road will be closed from approximately 7am-11am for fine grading to prepare the road surface for asphalt paving. […]
- August Roadwork Notice August 11, 2014Frankland Rd to the Ashland town line. Wilson St - East Main St to 1500 ft North of East Main St. Fenton St - Full length. […]
- Julian A. Prachnick, 75, of Hudson August 20, 2014
- Southborough police log, Aug. 22 edition August 20, 2014The responding officers checked the area and reported back negative findings. 3:47 p.m. A motorist from Natick, MA was issued a criminal application for operating a motor vehicle with a suspended registration. […]
- Verizon Wireless 'smart store' to open at Natick Mall August 19, 2014The store is the sixth in New England and will feature interactive zones where customers are encouraged to try out different technologies, ranging from gaming to music and fitness. […]
- These Are The Medtech Industry's Biggest Firers August 19, 2014Boston Scientific, based in Natick, Massachusetts, is one of the largest pure-play medical device firms and has developed numerous devices for a variety of conditions including heart disease, heart attack, peripheral artery disease, asthma, atrial arrhythmia and others. […]
- Army researchers test 3-D printed chow August 18, 2014It sounds like science fiction, but the Army is taking a real look at 3-D printing food, an idea that may lead to customizable meals for the battlefield with nutrient yields tailor-made to the individual service member, on demand. […]
- Southborough police log, Aug. 22 edition August 20, 2014
- Voice, image give clues in hunt for Foley's killer August 22, 2014In this June 17, 2011 photo, journalist James Foley receives applause from students at the Christa McAuliffe Regional Charter Public School in Framingham, Mass. […]
- James Foley killing: Identifying the British-accented man in black August 22, 2014Journalist James Foley receives applause from students at a school in Framingham, Mass., in 2011. […]
- Framingham: Gateway Camera Club hosts photographer Lynn Damianos August 22, 2014Gateway Camera Club will present Lynn Damianos, a local professional photographer, Tuesday, Sept. […]
- Framingham: Gateway Camera Club hosts photographer Lynn Damianos August 21, 2014Gateway Camera Club will present Lynn Damianos, a local professional photographer, Tuesday, Sept. […]
- Voice, image give clues in hunt for Foley's killer August 22, 2014